Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Movie-Renamer Installation

I've been hunting around for a method to get my movies working with XBMC. On Windows I was using a program called Movie Companion, and it was a good little program that did what I wanted it do. Specfically:

  1. It downloaded the movie information 
  2. Downloaded Posters
  3. Downloaded Fan Art
  4. Created the required .nfo files for XBMC
What it didn't do was create update movie filenames etc... but I could live with that. 

Since moving across to linux, I've been in desperate need to be able to do what I could do with Movie Companion. I've looked on forums and various other areas and most of the information pointed to Ember, however, Ember seems to have gone down some time ago and hasn't come back up yet. 

I thought that I may have need to create my own program to do what Movie Companion did on Windows, however, my background is Microsoft Frameworks and I didn't have a clue on how to get started in linux. 

Somehow I managed to stumble upon Movie-Renamer, and unlike what the name states it does more than just rename the movie. 

Installation
To install Movie Renamer you will need to download the java file from their website at http://movie-renamer.fr/. You will need Java installed on your ubuntu installation before you can execute this, check out my post on how to install java for some instructions. 

Once you have downloaded the jar file, in my case it was Movie Renamer_Installer-1.3.0_Alpha.jar follow these instructions:

1. Open up a file explorer, usually Nautilus and locate the file. Often, unless you have changed this, it would be in ~/Downloads

2. Right click on the file, and you will notice that  there is an option "Open with Oracle Java 7 Runtime", if you don't have this option then it means that you don't have Java installed on your machine - see my previous post on instructions on how to do this. If you do see it then click on this option to launch the installer. 

3. Select your language, the program supports English and French, and click OK


4. Click Next on the home screen/splash screen or what ever you like to call this screen, then go through the GNU License information and click Next
 


5. Select the installation path, leave it as it is if you want the default to apply

If the path does not exist, in my case it didn't, then you will prompted to create the directory. Click OK if you wish to do so. 

6. Select the packages that you require, at this stage you get the Sources if you wish otherwise the default option of Movie Renamer is the only one that is required. Click Next to continue.

8. Then it will go through the process of installing the files, this should be really quick - it was less than a second on my machine. Click Next to continue. 

9. Next screen is quite wierd, and it is obvious that this was initially intended for Windows since it refers to the Start Menu and creating shortcuts. I've just continued (Next) to see what will eventuate. 


And then that's it, click Done:


To open the program, go to the top right if you are using gnome and search for "Movie" and it will bring up Movie Renamer. 



Now that it's installed, I'll have a play with it and post a separate post on using the program. 




1 comment: