Monday, May 31, 2010

Belkin Belkin, I thought your service was good but it turns out your product is shit!

This post is about the problems that I have been having with my Belkin Wireless N Router. 



Last year I purchased a new wireless modem router combo, and decided to go with the the Belkin range purely because it looked good. It had been working perfectly for about 8 months, and then it suddenly started to drop the connection. At first the connection was being dropped occasionally, and I didn't really notice it until I started to review the logs. 


At first I decided to contact my ISP thinking that they were dropping the connection to free up the service to others, they confirmed that it was not them and then asked me to check with my telephone provider. I did this as they had suggested, and I had a technician come out to inspect the line. The technician showed me that it wasn't the line that was causing the issue, but left the diagnostic equipment at my property overnight to collect the data (this was only because I was the last job). After reviewing the diagnostics results I was satisfied that it wasn't the line. 


So, after confirming with my ISP and Telephone Carrier that it wasn't them, I was baffled as to what it could be. I then realised the only other equipment was the modem. I should say at this point that the modem I had prior to purchasing a Belkin was a Netgear modem (no wireless) - which was an ugly white thing. 


I contacted Belkin, which sounded like an overseas call centre, who ran through their check-list and also updated my firmware to the latest firmware. The modem then didn't drop the line at all for about a week, I was quite satisfied with the results. A week later, the connection started to drop out again, except this time it was a lot more frequent than before. The connection was dropping out from being every 1 hour, to 5 mins, to within a minute of being online. 


I was seriously pissed off and contacted Belkin again, the operator went through the same check-list and said that they had to escalate this to a level 2 technician. A couple of days later the technician called me and requested my address, and said that they will be in contact with me. I later realised that they had shipped out a new modem to me, I was really satisfied with the outcome - but a little annoyed that they didn't tell me that they were shipping out a new modem. 





Now with the new modem, the connection has started to drop out AGAIN. Not only that, but it cannot manage multiple users sharing the bandwidth. For example, if my house mate decides to watch a clip on youtube then I will be locked out. I called Belkin again regarding this, and the operator that took the call went through the same check list and said that they had to pass it to level 2 technician. I still haven't received a call from Belkin about this, it has been over a month now. 



Overall, this has gone for about 5 months since I first noticed the line dropping out. As you can imagine I'm not very happy with Belkin and their product. I feel that the product is overpriced for poor quality product. Yesterday I had enough with Belkin and decided to go and purchase a new Netgear DGN2000 modem to carry me through for a couple of months till I can get a stable modem. Since plugging in the Netgear DGN2000 I haven't recieved a single drop out, and the modem comes with QoS which is great since I can now manage the traffic. 


Belkin if you reading this, please return my calls. 


Thanks

0 comments:

Post a Comment