Thursday, April 25, 2019

Video editing in linux

My primary desktop for development is now Linux desktop. I've got it running on my laptop's, and computers with various distros (Ubuntu being used primarily with Gnome).

Although I've been using Linux since the 90s, Windows has always existed. However, with vscode and online application like gdocs etc... I've managed to use Linux as my primary os. The question of Linux not having the software to support everyday use was finally busted. I became very adapted to using Linux, and used the alternative software such as gimp etc... For the various tasks that I needed to run.

However, today I'm finding myself repartitioning my HDD so that I can install windows. As much as I didn't want to return to windows, I'm finding that the question of adequate software has come up again and in this case the question of premium video editing software is just not available in Linux.

Sure there's kdenlive, and the Devs have done a great job with it. However, it's definately not comparable to something like Adobe's product or Apple's final cut Pro.

With Adobe dragging their heels in offering the creative suite on Linux, and Apple... Well I need to buy some over priced piece of kit just to use final cut Pro.

I looked everywhere for another alternative, such as cloud editing etc.... However nothing was available. Untill I came across DaVinci Resolve. This was the first time I have heard of it, however, a quick YouTube search shows a vast amount of videos dedicated to Resolve, which was perfect.

Resolve is offered on OSX, Windows, and Linux. Well, it's offered for CentOs and RHEL, for my use I had to run through some hoops just to get it installed on a Ubuntu machine

Looking through the videos this looked perfect for what I needed, something thats truly comparable to the premium products (nb: Resolve is a premium product with a free offering). The tutorials of effects etc ... Was perfect and looked very easy to use. Unfortunately, the videos were as close as I got to running it on my machine using Linux. Sure, the installer was converted to Deb package and I managed to install it successfully. Furthermore, I was able to launch it to get the introductory wizard. I managed to go through some of the key features and set up my keyboard layout and videos folder... And then nothing. A big fat nothing.

I was soooo close, and Im greatful that such a software is being made available for Linux and at a great price. I would like to support the company for their efforts and encourage for them to continue, and for this reason I'm installing windows so that I run resolve.




0 comments:

Post a Comment