Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Samsung Galaxy S5 - What I want

I'll soon be in the market for a new smart phone, and I'm eagerly looking forward to what Samsung has been working on under the covers. The last set of rumours indicated that the Galaxy line up is being re-designed from the ground up. This is welcome news, since I didn't get a new phone this year because S5 just didn't cut it enough for me to move from my HTC One M7.

So if Samsung is looking to re-design this from the ground up, then here is my wish list:

TouchWiz

The only Samsung Phone that I have liked to date is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and this was purely because it ran stock Android. It was snappy, had a slight curve and it just worked. Every time I looked at the Galaxy lineup I'm always greeted by TouchWiz, and it always turns we off.
I know there are people out there who think that TouchWiz is great, and I know that Samsung must do focus groups and the people who like them are attending those focus groups. But Samsung, you need to get out a bit more - A lot of people do not like TouchWiz and compared to Android 5 TouchWiz just looks awful and slow.


If you could get an option say - for technical minded people to download and install pure Android it wouldn't be so bad.

Home Button

I feel like the Home button is holding Samsung back. Android phones in general have embraced on-screen or Capacitive buttons for a while. But Samsung has held on to the home button, and then increased the use of the home button by adding a finger-print reader. I really think that Samsung's design could look a whole lot better if the Home Button disappears.

Loose the Gimmicks

With a lot of Android phones, Samsung and HTC included, in an attempt to stand out from the crowd they've tried to add features. In Samsung's case a lot of features. However, a lot of these features tend to be gimmicks - they look good or ok today and in a couple of months you are not using any of the features. There is so much packed into a Samsung phone, it'd be good if Samsung concentrated on a few features that people would actually want.

More Edge

Last year we saw an Alternative to the Galaxy Note which was the Galaxy Note Edge. This was sold along side Galaxy Note, probably not to disrupt the Galaxy Note Sales. However, I personally thought that this was interesting and I would definitively like to see more. Maybe something along the top or the bottom - something like showing the music controls so that it you can see it peeking out of your pocket.

Overall I just want to see what they can do with curved displays. LG G Flex 2 managed to showcase somewhat of a curved display and now its time for Samsung.

Build Quality

Some people are sick of the plastic build quality, and personally I don't really mind the plasticity of Samsung phones. I would much rather have a phone like the Samsung phones if I had to compromise with removable storage and removable battery.

However, there are a number of manufacturers who have dramatically improved their build quality - namely HTC, Moto,  and Apple, that I believe Samsung cannot ignore this any more and has to seriously think about build quality for their phones.



0 comments:

Post a Comment