Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Surface Pro 3 - Fantastic


I think the last time I posted something about the Microsoft Surface it was a couple of years ago. Although Surface Pro 3 didn't deliver everything I wanted, I bit the bullet and bought one any way. That was over 6 months ago.

There are a number of reviews out there about Surface Pro 3, so I didn't want to something about the surface that has already been covered. 



After using the Surface Pro 3 this is how I feel about it : 

  • The product itself and overall is pretty impressive, I worried about performance etc... but I haven't had any problems to date. I did have a problem one night when it became really hot - I mean really hot. The temerature control came on and shut the system down - the fans could be heard fired up and whirring away. 
  • The Type Cover is fantastic, and it is almost as pleasurable to type on the Type cover as the macbook pro keyboard. The trackpad is a bit of a dud, I feel like I was spoilt with the trackpad of the macs - which is probably the best trackpad by a mile. There's been times when I'm scrolling a webpage and it just doesn't scroll and I had to use the touch screen. I also have issues with the left click, it feels that it is getting stuck and the tactile feedback is just not there sometimes (I have to bend the cover slightly to try and pop it up).
  • The screen is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.
  • The Pen placement is still a problem. It is probably better the previous surface pro magnetic attachment but when you try and place it in a bag it sometimes gets caught - its just an annoyance. 
  • Pen implementation with one note is FANTASTIC I'm someone that writes, and draws pictures alot when I speak to people. I tend to use the back of what ever is around. With one note + surface + surface pen, I no longer need to do that I just use One Note. 
  • I haven't found any issues with windows 8,  I have to confess I do like the start screen in windows 8 compared to the previous versions. But I am in the desktop  mode quite alot. I also like the idea of being able to tap the Windows key and typing the name of the application and Enter (Perfect).
  • I like the swiping from the left to rotate the application, but I haven't had the need to put them side-by-side since I'm in the normal applications (not metro). 
  • I haven't had the need to use the camera at all yet. 
  • Sound is great for me - obviously this isn't something that provides the best quality sound possible through those tiny speakers. 
  • One major problem that I'm facing is the wireless - I have intermitent problems with the wireless. This ranges from poor performance, to dropped connections, to being unable find and/or connect to my home network. 
  • I am still disappointed that I don't wireless ac and mobile broadband. I'm waiting for the new Wireless AC routers before moving to Wireless Ac. 

I would consider getting the next version if it had mobile broadband wireless ac. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment