Sunday, November 4, 2012

SAMBA: Unable to Mount

I was working on my HTPC today and I was trying to transfer files to it. After re-installing everything due to the 3TB debacle, I realised that I hadn't set up anything for connecting to it and sharing files. So my initial thought was to get FTP up and running, after while I thought to myself that I need to get SAMBA up and running.

I quickly whipped up Google to get some instructions on how to do this, since I was terrible at remembering how to do this - I have battle scars of the early days of samba as well.

The tutorial that I was going through took me through the process of setting up samba via a terminal window, which was great because I was able to Telnet into the machine to set everything up. Before long I started to run into some problems. So I quickly got an rdp session going to try and work things out graphically...

After about an hour I had a persistent problem of my desktop computer failing to connect :


This message "Unable to mount location" followed by "Failed to mount Windows share" kept on haunting me for that full hour...

Then I was looking up info on page 10 or 11 of a google search result, that's right I was in the deapths of a google search results - and I found a gem of an advice in a forum : check the permissions.

So I did, and my permission for the directory that I was sharing was drwx------... so I quickly whiped out my terminal in the rdp session and punched out:
sudo chmod 755 myDirectory

and then bam! all good. I can now connect to the Samba Share!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment