Saturday, February 27, 2010

Installing IPA files from PC to Iphone without iTunes

I've been trying to install a custom IPA without much success. No matter which tutorial that I followed, it all seemed to get a point where iTunes was involved. However, my issue was that I didn't want to use iTunes on my laptop, because it wanted to wipe everything (remove all the apps etc...).


I thought, there has got to be a way without having to use iTunes. Surely since the iphone is connected via usb or by ssh wifi, we should be able to install the IPA. Initially I used Air Sharing app to move the IPA from my computer to the iphone. This wasn't successful at all.

The good news is that, after reading countless number of tutorials/guides/forum posts etc..., I have found a method that suited my situation which I can share with everyone:

Since I had already jail broken my iphone, I had Cydia already installed and I had installed Installous (let me know if you need instructions on how to do this). Also, you need to make sure that your iphone is connected via WiFi.
  1. Open Cydia and goto Selections (tab) > Networking > OpenSSH > then select Install
  2. Download and open up a SFTP client (an FTP client that can connect via SSH). Since I was using a Mac I downloaded Cyberduck to use as my SFTP client. If you are using Windows then you can use WinSCP.
  3. Using your SFTP client, login to your iphone: The server address for the iphone can be found in Settings > Wi-Fi > select the blue icon of your network and the IP address of the iphone can be found there. The login name is root and password is alpine. If this doesn't work then you may need to google this.
  4. Once you have connected to your iphone, navigate to /private/var/mobile/library/Downloads. Copy your IPA file to this directory, this is the directory where installous stores the downloaded IPA files.
  5. Go to your iphone and launch the installous app, then go to the Downloads tab and select your IPA file to install. You should be able to install this like any other IPA file.
Anyway, I hope you find this useful.


0 comments:

Post a Comment